Tuesday 18 May 2010

Hanson School in the 1970's

click here for larger image

This is a photo of Hanson school taken in the 1970's. By the 1970's most of the secondary schools in Bradford were either in new buildings or fairly new buildings or having replacement schools built. Modern designs like at Hanson school in the photo had much more open spaces, and were much more pleasant, than the conditions of the much older schools. Hanson boy's and girl's school merged together when the new school buiding was opened in March of 1972, by an ex pupil of the school Vic Feather.

3 comments:

  1. I remember this picture because it was taken at thinking 1972 for a publication about changing Bradford. I am on the picture on the right hand side with the bag over my shoulder and the long hair. I recognise some of the people in the photograph. It was the first year that the boys had merged with the girls and moved over from the old school down Barkerend Road. I would be very interested to know where it was found? alan@endeavourcottage.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have or know where I can possibly find school photos of Groups of pupils from Hanson Infants and junior school from around 1959-1965? I was orphaned and don't have any photo's of myself when I was small.

    thank you
    the Headmaster at the time was Mr charleston or omething very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also attended Hanson infants but got changed to Byron street I attended in 1969 I remember Mrs Harrision been the head of the infants... Miss Hattersley and miss Watton been my first teachers I had wonderful memories attending the school I believe in the secondary school the next hall adjoining Mr Tom Moorland were the headmaster but later transferred over to the old Hanson school next door and it became Pillars park middle.. I remember having a a teacher in my secondary school Byron street called Mrs stoke what a horrible person she were then my final year at that school I had a male teacher called Mr barker he retired as were broke up for our summer holidays he were fabulous made our lessons so interesting ..... Happy times

    ReplyDelete